5 Tips for Skincare After 50
May 5th, 2020
Canadian Beauty College
Your skin changes as you get older, and it’s important to adapt your skincare routine accordingly. If you’re over the age of 50, here are five tips to help you maintain a beautiful complexion and healthy skin.
- Wear sunscreen every day. Sun exposure is one of the top causes of wrinkles, age spots and skin cancer. Incorporate sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 into your morning skincare routine and reapply it every 90 minutes if you spend extended periods of time outside. Don’t forget your neck and hands, as these areas tend to show the effects of sun damage quicker than other parts of the body.
- Use age-appropriate products. The cleansers, toners and moisturizers you relied on when you were younger may not offer your skin the nourishment it needs today. Skin tends to get drier and more sensitive with age, so choose products formulated for mature skin. There are a variety of oils and serums specifically designed to deeply penetrate your skin and keep it hydrated.
- Check for skin cancer regularly. Since most cases of skin cancer can be effectively treated if they’re caught early, consistent self-exams are critical. Use a hand-held and full-length mirror to help you see your whole body. Speak with your doctor if you notice a new growth, a change in a mole or birthmark, or a spot or sore that doesn’t go away after a few weeks.
- Consider a retinol cream. Although this product used to require a prescription, retinol creams are now available over the counter in milder concentrations. Retinols increase skin cell turnover and collagen production, which helps make your skin look younger and smoother.
- Experiment with hair removal. Menopause often triggers an increase in facial hair growth among women. You can periodically remove this hair with tweezers or wax. Alternatively, you can opt for a permanent treatment such as laser hair removal or electrolysis.
Speak with a medical aesthetics specialist
The students and professionals at a Canadian Beauty College medi-spa clinic offer a variety of anti-aging treatments to help you maintain younger-looking skin. These include injectables such as Botox and fillers, chemical peels and laser procedures. You can also schedule a consultation with a makeup artist to learn new tips and tricks. To schedule an appointment or learn more about our hairstyling, makeup and aesthetics programs, contact us today.
Write a Comment